Viz.ai announced the FDA clearance of its new RV/LV ratio algorithm, adding an important risk stratification feature to its pulmonary embolism AI module, while representing an interesting example of how triage AI solutions might evolve.
Triage + Stratification + Coordination – Viz PE becomes far more comprehensive with its new RV/LV integration, helping radiologists detect/prioritize PE cases and assess right heart strain (a major cause of PE mortality), while equipping PE response teams with more actionable information.
- This addition might also improve clinicians’ experience with Viz PE, noting the risk of developing AI “alert fatigue” when all severity levels are treated the same.
Viz.ai is So On-Trend – Signify Research recently forecast that AI leaders will increasingly expand into new clinical segments, enhance their current solutions, and leverage platform / marketplace strategies, as AI evolves from point solutions to comprehensive workflows. Those trends are certainly evident within Viz.ai’s recent PE strategy…
- Viz PE’s late 2021 launch was a key step in Viz.ai’s expansion beyond neuro/stroke
- Adding RV/LV risk stratification certainly enhances Viz PE’s detection capabilities
- Viz PE was developed by Avicenna.AI, arguably making Viz.ai a platform vendor
- Viz PE’s workflow now combines detection, assessment, and care coordination
The same could be said for Aidoc, which previously added Imbio’s RV/LV algorithm to its PE AI solution (and also supports incidental PE), although few other triage AI workflows are this advanced for PE or other clinical areas.
Viz.ai’s PE and RV/LV integration is a great example of how detection-focused AI tools can evolve through risk/severity stratification and workflow integration — and it might prove to be a key step in Viz.ai’s expansion beyond stroke AI.